to this page from time to time, to check out our specials and packages.
Packages with Accommodation
Photography Packages based out of Aurum Lodge
For 13 years, we have hosted photography workshops and tours from our exceptional location. We believe that the events based out of Aurum Lodge are truly unique for a number of reasons, such as:
- operating in a spectacular area with a unique micro-climate and diversity means we spend less time in our vehicles and more time photographing,
- partnering with knowledgeable guides and instructors who know the area inside out and don't just come here once a year to guide a tour...,
- offering all in packages, which include your photography event, accommodation, meals and more, so you know what your cost will be,
- small groups with up to six participants only,
- flexible tour itineraries, which allow us to work around and make the best of ever changing mountain weather, trail conditions, and locations. Workshops will be more structured to allow for relevant contents to be covered,
- we do not concentrate on the well known icons of the Rockies, but will introduce you to the hidden secrets of our valley, far from the crowds of Banff and Lake Louise, but just as varied and beautiful.
Why spend extra money to join a small group or private tour rather than venturing out on your own?? Here are some of the benefits:
- Tours and workshops are fun as you meet likeminded people and can learn a lot not just from your guide / instructors but also from other participants,
- No need to worry about where to go when or what is the best time of day for a specific location or subject,
- No need to spend a fair bit of time to scout out different locations or learn about local weather, so you can come back when the conditions are good,
- Safety concerns are minimised when working in a group, compared to venturing out on your own (note that you are always responsible for your own saftety but your guides will point out risky areas or situations, which you may not be aware of),
- You get to explore locations you would likely not find on your own (we try to avoid the "icons" which are shown and described in every guidebook...)
- Your chances of returning home with more and different successful images are significantly greater.
Should you book a workshop or a tour?
This depends primarily on your goals / objectives:
If you feel you would like to learn more about and improve your photography skills, then we recommend you join a workshop. These are a little more money as the instructors are working with the participants ALL the time. The events follow a certain schedule, include formal tuition, assignments, review sessions, etc.. Roughly 50% of your time is for formal instruction with the other 50% in the field, practising what you learnt.
- If you are comfortable with your level of expertise and simply wish to spend maximum time in the field (dawn to dusk!) photographing landscapes and nature, then a tour should be your choice. Tours are less formal, instruction or advice is provided on a more "ad hoc" basis in the field and your guide / instructor will also be spending some time photographing. As a result, costs are generally less.
For 2018 we are offering
- "Winter Mountain Magic" photography tour with Mark and Leslie Degner of Wilderness Light Images (fully booked - waitlist only)
Wednesday, January 17 to Sunday, January 21 2018 (four nights)
C$1,599 + GST single occupancy
/ C$ 1,399 + GST shared occupancy
We recommend booking early! If tours or workshops are fully booked, we suggest you still contact us to be put on a waitlist or receive information as to additional field trips we may be arranging at a future date.
For all packages and photo tours out of Aurum Lodge, we will handle reservations and can answer most of your questions. Note that a reservation is only guaranteed, once a deposit has been received, so call us if you wish to book.
Darwin Wiggett and Samantha Chrysanthou of oopoomoo.com offer a number of e-guides on general photography and photography locations in the Canadian Rockies. If you prefer to explore on your own, or the timing of our tours does not work for you, we highly recommend these guides.
there are 1001 reasons for this place of all seasons...